Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: 804B questions?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member doucanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2007
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi guys, New here thought that I would say hello. I have had a handful of Altec speakers, drivers and horns in the last few years. Most of the time, I can locate the info that I am looking for but this time I'm stumped. I picked up a pair of Altec 804B multi-cellular horns over the weekend They are in pretty good shape other than a few spots of superficial rust. All welds are fine.
    I can't seem to find to be able to locate the model throat adaptor need for these. If anyone could help me, it sure would be appreciated.
    Also, Im looking for suggestions as to how to go about painting these. I was thinking originaly that a nice powerwash prior to painting would knock off any crud on them. After thinking about that, Im not sure if that would be a great idea. The horn damping material might come off with the powerwash. What is the best way t approach this?

    Thanks much, RC

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    I can't seem to find to be able to locate the model throat adaptor need for these. If anyone could help me, it sure would be appreciated.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The 804B is a 2X4 Cell for 2 drivers.The adapter is model 30172. This is a double driver adapter.
    You can add 2 30546 adapters at the end of each
    branch. This puts the drivers in an upward position.

    Picture of 1505B uses same adapter as 804B.
    6

    ...................

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    Can he use a 30162 single throat on those horns, or are the horn to throat dimensions different between the 804 and 805 horns?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...ar%20Horns.pdf

    I should have posted this with my question.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually after staring at that chart a little longer it stands to reason that the 30166 single throat should work.

    Apologies for the multiple posts, an editing feature should would come in handy.

    forums

  6. #6
    Inactive Member doucanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2007
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the link to the info Bowtie.
    It does appear that the 30172 is the reccomended throat for the 804B. 2-drivers on each horn... It sounds like this could turn into an expensive project.

    I'm wondering if you couldn't get away with the single for home use. Dispersion might be compromised but I'm not trying to fill a stadium or movie theatre.

    RC

  7. #7
    Inactive Member doucanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2007
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    CONVERGENCE, Have you ever ran a pair of these with a single driver? I hate to be that guy that says "I know thats what they recommend, but what if I..." I guess that I'm going to have to try it and see if it works for me.

    RC

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    We had 1005B on A-5 with single throat and that was for 400 seats.
    The only one with doubles were the 1803B that I recall.It belongs to a church.

    Most installations afterwards like "arena's"
    used the mantaray type horn.

    In the case of the 804B I would try it with single throat. Like you said it's not for a stadium.

    ............................

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    The distribution patern of the 804B is 35 degree
    X 70 D. The 805B is 40 D. X 80 D.. The reason why they recommend a double throat on the 804B has to do with distribution patern.


    ..................

  10. #10
    Inactive Member doucanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2007
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, I shall keep you posted. All I need to find now are the throats and I can try them out with my 291-16k's.

    RC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.